St. John Baptist Chapel/Elkhart Cemetery

Search our Site

tourism logo new

Elkhart Cemetery

Country Road 10 

Elkhart, Illinois 62634 

 

Located in the Elkhart Cemetery, St. John the Baptist Chapel was built in 1890. Lemira Gillett built the chapel for $10,000 in memory of her husband, John Dean Gillett. It is the only privately owned chapel in Illinois. Governor Oglesby's funeral was held at the chapel on April 28, 1899.

The Elkhart Historical Society now hosts special events in the Chapel, like the Christmas Candlelight Service in December, and can be reserved for special events. 

tourism logo new

101 North Chicago Street
Lincoln, IL 62656

 
 
Normal Hours
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Mon.-Fri.
June-August
10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Sat. also
January-March
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. - Mon.-Fri.
 

Quick Contact

Send us a quick suggestion, ask a question, or simply say hello...