Gillett Memorial Bridge

Search our Site

tourism logo new

Country Road 10

Elkhart, IL 62634

  

The John P. Gillett Memorial Bridge was originally a wooden bridge built in 1899 and was part of the Oglesby estate. It is one of only two privately owned bridges in Illinois. Governor Oglesby's funeral procession, which included Abe Lincoln's son, Robert, walked across the original bridge. The wooden bridge was replaced with a concrete bridge in 1915 by Emma Gillett Oglesby, in memory of her brother, John P. Gillett. The entrance to the bridge connects with Elkhart Cemetery.

Find more information HERE

tourism logo new

101 North Chicago Street
Lincoln, IL 62656

 
 
Normal Hours
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Mon.-Fri.
June-August
10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Sat. also
January-March
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. - Mon.-Fri.
 

Quick Contact

Send us a quick suggestion, ask a question, or simply say hello...